Sarah

Life is what happens whilst you're busy making other plans... (J. Lennon)

Monday, November 15, 2004

Family Reunion!

When I finished writing my post on Saturday I left the library and bumped into my academic daughter from Durham. I had no idea she lived anywhere near here, in fact she only moved to Watford (close to St Albans) a month ago so she's not been here long. It was very odd though, I don't expect to bump into people I know seeing as though I don't know very many people here!

On Friday night some people in my building left a note under my door. I had met them a couple of weeks ago. Anyway, on Saturday night I went round to see them. Their flat is absolutely amazing, I am now inspired to try to make mine look as good (probably very unlikely seeing as Hana is into textile design and had made lots of fantastic things). She once designed a dress for a famous designer (can't remember the name now, but he was French!) and her dress was worn on the catwalk by an equally famous model (who's name I can't remember either!) She showed me the photos and some more of her work. I was very, very impressed. I had a really lovely evening getting to know her a bit. It is nice to think that she is a new person that I have met since being here, because I think that at the moment I am relying very heavily on the people I already knew here and they are not necessarily going to be here for much longer.

On Sunday I went to Church. The people there were very friendly and welcoming (I got a lift home and an invitation to lunch!) The service was different from what I am used to. It was split into three parts, introductory worship, a break for tea and coffee and then a sermon. Everybody was very interested in me and wanted to know what I am doing in St Albans. I even met someone who is on one of the committees in the trust and so knows the people I work with...he was in the building today and came in to say hello but unfortunately I was out for lunch. The one problem though is that everybody there was a lot older than me. I think that that will probably be a problem with most Churches, you get spoiled at university when there are so many students (and I suppose the evening services at Claypath were very much orientated towards students). Also, going to Church should be about worship and not a place to meet new people, but at the same time it would be nice to belong to a Church with more people similar to myself. Oh well, I will have to decide whether or not to go back there or try elsewhere.

1 Comments:

Blogger Dozy Rosie said...

Tea in the middle sounds nice - good way of getting everyone together for it rather than before/after when not everyone hangs around.

10:02 pm  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home